Available Inspection Dates

At least 24-hour notice is needed.

Building Inspection

Monday – Friday

Electrical Inspection

Monday and Wednesday

Mechanical Inspection

Monday through Friday (Tuesday’s after 2:00)

Plumbing Inspection

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday

Single Source for Permits & Inspections

The Kalamazoo Area Building Authority processes all permit applications and inspections for the participating jurisdictions, allowing contractors to contact one location rather than multiple locations.

Comstock Township

Kalamazoo Township

City of Parchment

Pine Grove Township

Richland Township

Village of Richland

As of 3/12/24 the following codes take effect:

2021 Michigan Mechanical Code

2021 Michigan Plumbing  Code

2023 Michigan Electrical Code

For inclement weather closing, please check WWMT

Online Permit Applications

Building/Demolition Permit Application

Plumbing Permit Application

Electrical Permit Application

Mechanical Permit Application

The 2017 National Electrical Codes are now in effect.


How do I apply for a permit?

Permit applications may be obtained from the KABA office located at 2322 Nazareth Road or on the KABA website under Permits and Fees on the homepage.

Permit applications may be submitted in several ways including:

  • In person – at the KABA office
  • Via mail – 2322 Nazareth Road Kalamazoo, MI 49048
  • Via fax – 269.250.9078
  • Via email – permits@kaba-mi.org
  • Through the KABA website via online submit-able forms
As a homeowner, do I need to apply for my permits or is that the contractors’ responsibility?
  • As a homeowner, you may obtain permits if occupying the dwelling.

  • A homeowner may obtain a permit even if they are hiring a contractor to do the work, however, we recommend a contractor obtain the permit.

  • Contractors must be licensed to obtain permits.

How long does it take to process a permit?
  • Typically for trade permits (mechanical, electrical, and plumbing) that don’t require project review, can be processed the day it is received.

  • Building permit applications may take up to 7 to 10 days for review.

How much will my permit cost?
  • The cost of every permit varies. Building permits are based on construction value.  Trade permits are based on the Line Items shown on this website
  • The exceptions: Swimming Pools are $78 for above-ground and $155 for in-ground
  • For demolition fees see KABA’s Demolition Policy
    What form of payments are accepted?
    • Over the phone via credit card
    • In-person via cash, check, or credit card
        • The credit card fees are $3 for every $100. ($0-$100=$3, $101-$200=$6, etc.)
    Who is responsible for scheduling inspections?
    • The permit holder is responsible for calling and requesting all required inspections.
    How much notice do you need for inspection scheduling?
    • We require at least 24 hours notice

    What inspections are required for my project?

    These inspections apply to new construction, alterations, and additions to existing structures, and to all projects where the scope of work necessitates any of the required inspections.

    You can find a complete list of required inspections for specific building projects under the Permit Information tab.

    Trades (Electrical, Mechanical, and Plumbing)

    • Underground (prior to concealment)
    • Rough (prior to concealment)
    • Final
    How deep do my footings need to be?

    All exterior footings and foundation systems must extend 42 inches below actual grade
    The exceptions to this are:

    • Protection of freestanding accessory buildings with an area of 600 square feet or less, of light frame construction, and with an eave height of 10 feet or less is not required.
    • Protection of freestanding accessory buildings with an area of 400 square feet of less, of other than light frame construction, and with an eave height of 10 feet or less is not required.
    • Decks not supported by a dwelling do not need footings which extend below the frost line.
    What needs to be completed for my Final inspection?
    • Completion of requirements as stated under “What do I need to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy?”
    • Paint, floor coverings, trim, interior doors (in most cases) are NOT required for final inspections, provided all exposed material meets the flame spread/smoke density index requirements as set forth in the Code.
    What do I need to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy?

    **All Building Permits require a Certificate of Occupancy**

    • All Final trade (Electrical, Mechanical, and Plumbing) inspections must be approved
    • Blower door test results must be submitted to KABA (when applicable) contact the Building Official or Building Inspector with questions
    • An Energy Compliance sticker on the service panel
    • All required handrails or guardrails must be installed
    • Exit signage and egress path markings (when applicable)
    • All required smoke/CO detectors, fire alarm systems, and fire suppression systems (when applicable) must be operational
    • Approved exterior address identification (characters must be at least 4 inches in height with a stroke width of at least 1/2 inch.)
    What is a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy?
    • A Temporary Certificate of Occupancy may be granted when it is necessary to occupy a structure before the entire scope of the project is completed.
    What do I need to obtain a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy?
    • All life safety and fire safety requirements must be met and operational for all portions of a structure to be occupied.
    • All means of egress, guardrail, and handrail requirements must be met for all portions of a structure to be occupied
    • One operable bathroom and kitchen or food prep area must be completed (when applicable)
    • $1,000 bond posted with KABA
    • See Temporary Certificate of Occupancy Policy under Helpful Information for further inquiries
    Skip to content